Sunday, April 29, 2012

Toni on Toast

Why do I love Toni Morrison?




The reasons are plenty, but the words to bring across my reasons are so few.

Quick summary: Toni Morrison, born Feburary 18th, 1931, is a professor and an author. She went to Howard University, Cornell University, and taught at Texus Souterhn University AND Howard University. Having had a B.A. in English and Masters of Arts decree in English too, you can guess what she taught.

She began writing at Howard. Short stories, for a group of unofficial writers and poets in HOward itself. One of these Short stories became her first novel in 1970, The Bluest Eye, and it was a notable start to a legendary career.

You may have heard of Sula, Song of Solomon, Tar Baby, Beloved, Jazz, Paradise, Love, and A Mercy. This year I hear she's either put out or putting out a new book called Home. I myself have read four of her novels, and I'm starting on another one this week. But I wanted to just put out there how amazing of a writer she is. And the only way for me to give you a peek into her world is with an excerpt from one of her books, Sula.

Click here for the excerpt.

If you read this, than you know she has a way with words even in the uneventful parts of her novels. But again, just go out and read one. I don't want to waste anyone's time, just wanted to put out the name of a legend in my eyes.

Now let's get this new week started!!

-CDM

No comments:

Post a Comment