Sunday, September 22, 2013

Remembering Summer



This song has been on my radar all day because at 4:44, the Autumn Equinox will occur. Summer will truly be over.  I'll be candid and admit that I've been waiting for Autumn since the end of June. I'm not partial to extreme weather, on either side of the spectrum, and the heat waves that occurred this summer were inexcusable. That being said, the summer brought some music and films that I truly enjoyed, a few of which I'd like to quickly acknowledge:

- World War Z: 


A worldwide infection that infects people within seconds and turns them into monsters. Sounds familiar, and it is, but it's not simply a made for scares movie. The journey to finding the cause as well as methods for fighting against it was well executed, and I was on the due of my seat rooting for Brad Pitt to not die. 4/5


- Fruitvale Station: 


Based on the actual shooting of Oscar Grant, this is a movie that many felt was necessarily made, based on the recent events involving slain teenagers such as Trayvon Martin. Michael B. Jordan killed it as the young man in question, and the final 24 hours of his life. We watch him trying to do right by his girlfriend and daughter, we watch flashbacks of his time in jail we watch his close relationships with his mother, and we watch him, his girl, and his friends celebrate New Year's Eve. What happens on the train ride home from that celebration is etched into my memory permanently. It is a must-see for anyone. 5/5


- J Cole's "Crooked Smile":


Off his summer album, Born Sinner, this song in particular struck a chord with me in the best way. It's one of those songs where you stop to listen to the lyrics, the music almost secondary. DOn't get me wrong, though, the beat is dope too, which is imperative for a song with a message. TLC gives us the vocals, and J. Cole gives us the simple truth that we are all beautiful as we are, including him with his "crooked smile." 5/5


- Icona Pop "I Love It":


Oh yeah. Classic dance tune with the catchiest verse AND chorus. THe kind of beat that doesn't feel overbearing, yet just hard enough to keep you interested. And if you need a good exercise song? Oh yeah. 4/5

Before the month is over I'm going to give you some of the september treats we're already being blessed with, the ones that give me a good omen for the rest of the fall season!

-CDM

No comments:

Post a Comment