Tuesday, September 24, 2013

A Spread of Valerie

My first thought in looking up Valerie June:

Where....has...she...been?

According to her, she's been putting out her albums on her own for the past few years until her most recent album, Pushing Against A Stone, her first album as a signed artist! 

Well-versed in guitar, banjo, and ukelele, this beautiful, lock-rocking woman was born and raised in Tennessee, after which she moved to Memphis and was influenced by the blues and grassroots music of the 1920's and 30's. Since 2006 she's been putting out music on her own, but it wasn't until recently when a chance meeting with Kevin Augunas led her to writing with--wait for it--Dan Auerbach from The Black Keys. 

The one on the guitar.

From that songwriting union, among other elements,like moving to Brooklyn, came Pushing Against A Stone.

THOSE LOCKS.

It's 12 tracks of what she calls "Organic Moonshine Roots Music," which I'm going to define as a mixture of that vintage blues, country soul music that the early 20th century was well known for. Yet it doesn't feel "dated," in that regard, but rather classic. I could play a song off the album on any given day and feel the true essence of autumn TODAY, as opposed to an Autumn in 1935. Valerie's voice is distinct, sharp and soft at the same time, filled with the emotion of a weathered soul--the kind of voice one would need when taking part in this kind of music.

Off the bat, I'll tell you two of my favorites are her two singles, "You Can't Be Told," and "Workin' Woman Blues." The former is a gritty anthem-styled single you could hear played at an outdoor party to rile up the crowd. The latter in particular works with Fela-style horns, bass and percussion, blending effortlessly with the bluesy guitar and Valerie's lamenting lyrics: "I ain't fit to be no mother, I ain't fit to be no wife, I've been working like a man y'all, I've been working all my life..."

Other songs I enjoy: "Somebody to love," a heart-wrenching ballad that showcases Valerie's ability to suck the air out of a room without even trying, "On My Way," upbeat and sweet with a country-style violin serving a duet with her voice, "The Hour," the kind of slow-dance song you need to hold your partner a little closer for, and "Shotgun," which....I can't even explain; I've never heard anything like it. 

Don't take my word for it; go check it out yourself. In my humble opinion, this woman is about to make her mark on the music world.

Workin' Woman Blues (on Soundcloud)









So yes. Please check this out. It's a Pumpkin Spice Latte for your ears. :)

-CDM

No comments:

Post a Comment