Saturday, October 5, 2013

Red Leaf Latte Part 2 (The Love Theme)

First off, Happy Sunday. It's been a little rainy and cloudy, and the breeze is slowly getting back to the way it should be (at least for now.) And I hope you photographers and filmmakers out there will take advantage of the beautiful transitions the weather is making.

Secondly, for this Part 2 to the Red Leaf Latte series (which by now you understand is a batch of autumn songs), I've come up with a particular theme, which is romantic love songs. This would be known as the happier side of love, or what is known to most as the "honeymoon phase." Breakup songs are for another, more gloomy time.

All that being said, let's get to it!

"Heartbeats" by Jose Gonzalez

I've been listening to Jose for years now, and there are plenty songs of his to choose from that would accurately fit the "love" theme, but I chose this one because it was the first of his that I remember hearing. It's a cover of the original song by The Knife, but it's one of those covers that put an impactive spin on the original...with just a guitar and soft voice. (sigh)

"Lover's Carvings" by Bibio

Again, the guitar. Hope you're not getting annoyed with me, because when Autumn comes, guitar is that key element for me. And this is electric guitar. YES. It starts off as a sweet waltz for the first minute, and then switches up into an upbeat 4-count with cowbells, shakers, and triangles. Bibio's soft voice follows the melody, and you don't have to understand the lyrics to del the love.


"Kiss Me" by Sixpence None The Richer

Everyone knows this song, but I'm posting it anyway. It's one of those songs I can't remember the first time hearing it because it was always playing. The likable guitar strumming, the easy-to-learn lyrics, the catchy melody, that lead singer's sweet lilting voice...It's just a classic romantic song that everyone can sing.


"Chance" by Meshell Ndegeocello

Meshell is this smooth voiced bass player whose been in music business since the nineties with dope singles like "If That's Your Boyfriend(He Wasn't Last Night)" (heehee). This particular song is off her 2011 album Weather , and though it's not really about romantic love, something about it resonates with me in that way. Listen to it, and make your own decisions.


"You Know That I Love You" by Donell Jones

There are in fact plenty of songs Donell has that could be in this category--"Where I wanna be," "I'm Gonna Be," "U Know what's up," etc. But this song in particular captures a sunny autumn day. It's a beautifully simple melody that lifts your mood, set at a tempo you can strut to without drawing too much attention to yourself....(cough) I've had that problem (cough).

"Come Away" by Nini Camps

Hehe, well, I actually first heard this song when I was sick on the couch and watching TV. I was channel surfing when I stopped on Degrassi. And it was a Valentine's day based episode where some girl was publicly declaring her love for her boyfriend, and when she met him in the middle of the dance floor....THIS SONG STARTED PLAYING and I remember nothing else of that episode. After some detective work (internet surfing) I found the Title and Name of this folk-rock song that wasn't even real eased as a single. I have to give props to Degrassi for always picking little known songs, because after that episode, there was a marathon, and I found a couple more awesome songs. So yeah. Canadian teen dramas FTW.

"Obsession" by Omarion

Pharrell + Omarion = kickassness. As proven by their previous collaboration, 'Touch" from Omarion's debut album in 2005. Two years later, They came back together to do it again with "Obsession," an ode to anyone who has ever felt the kind of infatuation for that one person who causes them to lose all function. Over the futuristic sounds we know and love, Omarion's voice is the perfect compliment--without having to embellish with runs, he commands my ear's attention. If this was in a club, I'd be dancing my heart out.

"You" by Raheem Davaughn

There's something so....fascinating about the chorus to this song. Don't get me wrong, the whole song is wonderful; it's a smooth laid back beat you can slow dance to, with the air of a daytime stroll through the city, it's equipped with heartfelt lyrics praising the inner and outer beauty of his lover, it's the melodic progression....but the CHORUS. About four to five different harmonies repeating the same phrase--"Girl, every word in this song's gonna be about you." It's a straightforward phrase that everyone knows to be true of love songs, but the way he sings it...breathtaking. 


Any love songs off YOUR autumn playlist to share?

- CDM

No comments:

Post a Comment