Thursday, November 15, 2012

Last Bite of The Apple: The End Of The Sparkly Vampire Reign

Great Sky-Shot. But why the big face?
**DISCLAIMER: This is not a piece about how sad the end of Twilight is to me. That would be a lie. Because I've already been sad at the end of a Book-Era (Harry Potter) and could never be sad about any other Era again. This is simply a humorous recount of my fling with the vampire life and what the end of it means for its fans.***

I have never found myself caught in the throes of sparkly-vampire passion the way so many fans did when "Twilight" first came onto the scene as a debut novel for Stephanie Meyer. I had no interest in the black book with an apple on the cover, not until it was made into a movie and I recognized three actors from my early teen-hood: Kristen Stewart, Cedric Diggory, and Sharkboy. 


My mom and I decided to go to the opening night of the first movie. What the heck, why not? we said. We were sitting cramped between billions of girls in Team Edward T-Shirts giggling happily. As the screen darkened, the theater exploded in screams and a few vain calls "shut up!" I looked at my mother and silently vowed to never ever make her do something like this again. There was no way this movie would be worth it.
Oh, how wrong we were. 

The plot about a young teenager outcast Bella who falls for the brooding mysterious Christian Gr--I mean, Edward Cullen, actually pulled us in. My mother and I were reduced to girl-hood again, that age when you wish for a love like the movie stars have. Somehow, surprisingly, the audience reactions to certain parts in the movie (especially the entrance of Edward Cullen) enhanced the whole experience. Suddenly, I was giggling with my mom about how handsome Edward was, while she agreed with a twinkle in her eye (of course, by the time Taylor Lautner buffed up a year later, we would be talking about HIM). 
There were a lot of things about the first Twilight movie that makes it my favorite of all the movies. I am a sucker for good cinematography, and you cannot deny the attraction we all feel to the landscapes of pine trees and the faded effect of the entire film, as well as the well-paced change in shots to keep things from getting monotonous. Additionally, I thought the acting was pretty decent. Now, I know it's fun to make fun of Kristen's acting form, but I was used to it because I had seen her in other moves where her chops really got to shine. I hadn't known what to expect with Robert Pattinson. I'd only seen in as the bright-eyed Cedric Diggory, and, well, you know, he DIED at the end. But Rob did not disappoint, that cold November night in the theater. He pulled off the secretive romantic part relatively well, and his serious face doesn't look strained at all. I was especially impressed with how convinced I was by his American accent. It was believable, not over or underdone. I could see why they picked him. 
...If I had to sparkle, I'd be mad too.

The biggest factor that won me over was the soundtrack. Even those who don't like this series can't sleep on the compilation of that first movie soundtrack. The Black Ghosts, Mute Math, Blue Foundation, even a song by Pattinson, who got a VOICE on him! I liked it so much, I went and bought the album instantly. Songs from that album remain part of my personal winter playlist. 
Full Moon _Black Ghosts
Spotlight(Twilight Mix)_ Mute Math
Let Me Sign_Robert Pattinson

It was THIS first movie that compelled me to go see every other movie after that, even when the magic I once felt was completely diminished, as the plot annoyed me and the shooting-style was no longer enough, and when I never bought another Twilight soundtrack again. And it is THIS FIRST MOVIE that means I have to see this through to the end, on Friday tomorrow, even though I'm no longer the entranced watcher I was when it came to Eddie and Bella's first appearance on the screen. 
All of this goes to say that as tomorrow inches closer, I thought of the explosion this series has made for the past few years, the hype, the promotion, the posters and what not...and now I'm reminded of another grander book-movie era. Harry Potter. 
Yes, that is the album cover, and not the movie cover. Apologies.

That was MY era, the great story of my childhood. I have all seven books, two audio books, and four HP soundtracks. My entire childhood was shaped by debating whether harry or Ron would end up with Hermione and why Snape was such a jerk. And singing the Harry Potter theme at school until people begged me to shut up. When I walked out of the last Harry Potter movie (which was phenomenal) I wanted to cry. No more Harry Potter anticipation! Well, there's Pottermore, but I don't have that kind of time. :( 
And I do expect to see wet eyes by the time the credits roll tomorrow. Girls who came into this as 12 and 13 year olds and are leaving as 16-18 year olds are going to mournfully file out of the theater, lamenting the end of anticipation for another movie. People will make Internet Memes depicting how Twilight was a landmark for so many young people, and Facebook will be flooded with sad faces and one finally #TeamJacob hashtag.
Yet, like all eras, it will eventually die out, and the next author will have a chance to wow us with a grand series or novel in which literally unknown actors can become world-class superstars and people will happily but every poster, shirt, and mug that has their faces on it. We will have another literary celebrity series again, my friends. 
Is is this reality, and the fact I've already seen the others anyway, that will inspire me to say "one for Twilight, please," for the last time. So Dear Goddess, grant me the strength I need to sit once more in a theater full of screaming teenagers with old Twilight t-shirts and stare at a screen with sparkling vampires and furry werewolves, Kristen, Cedric, and Sharkboy...

and evil Dakota Fanning. (shudders)

Take Care, y'all!

-CDM

No comments:

Post a Comment